SIENNA publications on human enhancement
The SIENNA project is starting to produce results that will be published both in public deliverable reports and peer-reviewed journals. This page lists our outputs on human enhancement. You will find a complete list of outputs from the SIENNA project here.
- Sean R. Jensen, Saskia Nagel, Philip Brey, Tanne Ditzel, Rowena Rodrigues, Stearns Broadhead, & David Wright. (2018). SIENNA D3.1: State-of-the-art Review: Human Enhancement (Version V1.1). Zenodo.
- Zuzanna Warso, & Sarah Gaskell. (2019). SIENNA D3.2: Analysis of the legal and human rights requirements for Human Enhancement Technologies in and outside the EU (Version V2.0). Zenodo.
- Lisa Tambornino, & Dirk Lanzerath. (2019). SIENNA D3.3: Survey of REC approaches and codes for human enhancement (Version V3.0). Zenodo.
- Sean R. Jensen. (2020). SIENNA D3.4: Ethical Analysis of Human Enhancement Technologies (Version V1.1). Zenodo.
- Marie Prudhomme. (2020). SIENNA D3.5: Public views of human enhancement technologies in 11 EU and non-EU countries (Version V4). Zenodo.
- Kantar (Public Division). (2019). SIENNA 3.6: Qualitative research exploring public attitudes to human enhancement technologies (Version V3). Zenodo.
- Michael Kühler, Nils-Frederic Wagner, & Philip Brey. (2020). SIENNA D3.7: Proposal for an ethical framework for human enhancement (Version V1.0). Zenodo.
- Konrad Siemaszko, Rowena Rodrigues, & Santa Slokenberga. (2020). SIENNA D5.6: Recommendations for the enhancement of the existing legal frameworks for genomics, human enhancement, and AI and robotics (Version V2.0). Zenodo.
More reports have been submitted to the European Commission, awaiting approval before publication on the SIENNA website.
- D5.3 Methods for promoting ethics for human enhancement
Articles in scientific journals
- de Araujo M, The Ethics of Genetic Cognitive Enhancement: Gene Editing or Embryo Selection?, Philosophies, 2020;5(3):20
- Canellopoulou-Bottis M, The Greek Law on Human Enhancement, SSRN, 22 December 2018, DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.3295619 (preprint)
More manuscripts are under preparation or have been submitted to journals for publication,
- Fernow J, Human enhancement: Time for ethical guidance! the Ethics Blog, 21 December 2020
Promoting ethics for human enhancement technologies
Some human enhancement is controversial socially and morally. They promise the advancement of humanity, but also introduce serious risks to health and well-being, freedom, and equality. Human enhancement research and development can be missed in ethical and legislative review. The field is broad, and enhancement potential can be difficult to predict, especially if such potential is not actively sought. In all cases, guidance is needed. This brief addresses the need for policies aimed at ethical guidance for research, development and deployment of human enhancement technologies.
Yasemin J. Erden, & Philip Brey. (2021, March 24). Promoting ethics for human enhancement technologies: SIENNA project Policy Brief #5 (Version 1.0). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4633510
This brief is also available in Greek: Yasemin J. Erden, & Philip Brey. (2021). Προωθώντας την ηθική και τη δεοντολογία των τεχνολογιών ανθρώπινης βελτίωσης: Σύνοψη πολιτικής του προγράμματος SIENNA αρ. 5 (1.0). Zenodo.https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5550580
Ethics & human rights for new and emerging technologies
Human genomics, human enhancement, artificial intelligence and robotics offer benefits for both individuals and society. But these technologies also challenge human rights and our notions of what is ethical. SIENNA has developed frameworks and proposals for the ethical management and legal regulation of human genetics and genomics, technologies for human enhancement, artificial intelligence and robotics.
This policy brief presents key messages drawn from the EU-funded Horizon 2020 SIENNA project (2017-2021). SIENNA seeks to promote enhanced consideration of ethical and human rights issues in new and emerging technologies with major socio-economic impact and human rights relevance.
SIENNA project, Ethics & human rights for new and emerging technologies: SIENNA project Policy Brief #4. (Version 1.0) Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4590094
This brief is also available in Greek: SIENNA project. (2021). Hθική, δεοντολογία και ανθρώπινα δικαιώματα για τις νέες και επερχόμενες τεχνολογίες: Σύνοψη πολιτικής του προγράμματος SIENNA αρ. 4 (1.0). Zenodo.https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5550576