This public consultation is closed
The input we received will be incorporated in our proposals that will be submitted to the European Commission.
Ethics as attention to context: Recommendations for AI Ethics
This document shows that current AI ethics guidance and initiatives tend to be dominated by a legalistic (or principled) approach to ethics. Although this brings value to the field, it also entails some risks, especially in relation to the abstraction of this form of ethics that makes it poorly equipped to engage with and address deep socio-political issues and practical impacts. As such this document seeks to complement the existing principled approach to ethics with an approach to ethics as attention to context and relations. It introduces this proposal and makes practical recommendations to promote ethical AI by drawing from an approach to ethics as attention to context.
Want to give input to more SIENNA proposals?
- Operational guidance for ethical self-assessment of genetics & genomics research
- Ethical guidelines for research, development & application of human enhancement and a proposal for the creation of an appropriate body to oversee and analyse trends towards human enhancement, assess moral and social consequences, provide information and advice.
- Ethics by Design and Ethics of Use approaches for Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Big Data
- AI ethics education, training and awareness raising
- Industry Education and Buy-In
- Ethics as Attention to Context: Recommendations for AI ethics